1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1½ cups honey
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup canola oil
3 egg whites
2 eggs, I love Egg-Land’s Best eggs, see healthy benefits
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups wheat bran, see shopping tip
1½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray with flour in it. This is really a must because there’s very little fat used in this muffin, (see shopping tip)
2. In an electric mixer or in a large bowl mixing by hand, add pumpkin, honey, applesauce and oil.
3. Stir in egg whites, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add wheat bran, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt and mix until combined. Stir in cranberries or raisins and mix until blended.
5. Fill each muffin cup just about to the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully loosen each using a spoon or dull knife before removing muffins from pan.
7. Clean muffin pan, spray again with cooking spray (with flour in it). Bake remaining 4 muffins.
8. When cooled, wrap each muffin with plastic wrap and store on the kitchen counter for several days. These muffins freeze great too! Wrap each in plastic wrap and store in a plastic bag in the freezer.
Makes 16 muffins (each serving, 1 muffin)
for 1 muffin