Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 8 min
Other time: 0 min
- 8 slice(s) uncooked reduced fat bacon
- 1 pound(s) uncooked scallop(s), jumbo-size preferred (about 12 to a pound)
- 1/2 medium English cucumber(s), sliced into twelve 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 12 medium grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Soak eight 10- to 12-inch wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes (or use metal skewers).
- Place a grill pan in broiler and heat to high (or heat an outdoor grill to high).
- To assemble kabobs, using 2 skewers held parallel, about 1 inch apart, thread the end of one bacon strip onto skewers. Add a scallop and flip long end of bacon over scallop and skewer it into place. Add a cucumber slice and a tomato; flip long end of bacon over tomato and skewer it into place. Add another scallop and flip bacon over scallop. Add a cucumber slice and a tomato; flip bacon over tomato again and skewer it into place. Continue process — threading on another slice of bacon when necessary — until each skewer is complete with 3 scallops, 3 cucumber slices, 3 tomatoes and 2 strips of bacon. Repeat entire process with remaining skewers and ingredients to yield 4 kabobs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place kabobs on grill pan and broil (or grill) for 4 minutes on one side; turn kabobs and cook until bacon is cooked and scallops just begin to turn golden, about 4 minutes more. Serve with lemon wedges. Yields 1 kabob per serving.
- Using two skewers per kabob allows you to easily flip them.Replace the scallops with jumbo shrimp if you want, and consider using different vegetables like scallions or sweet onions, mushroom caps or red peppers