This recipe may look fancy and time consuming, but it was not. However, it was full of delicious flavor!
- 6 ( 5 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced to, but not through to make a pocket
- 1 c. low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 T. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 medium Roma tomato, finely diced
- 1/4 c. fresh baby spinach leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. Panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 2 T. olive oil
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, tomato, spinach, oregano and pepper. Fill each chicken breast. Secure with a few toothpicks. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Place Panko in a shallow bowl. Coat both sides of each chicken piece with Panko.
Heat oil in a large or 2 medium oven-proof skillets ( using 1 T. oil in each pan). (If you do not have a large enough pan or even two pans, just work in batches. If you do not have oven-proof skillets, then brown the chicken and then place in a baking dish to finish cooking.)
Brown chicken on both sides ( about 3 minutes per side).
Place pan(s) in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear. Do not over-cook.
Let stand 5 minutes. Remove toothpicks and serve.