This strata makes a marvelous brunch recipe. Prepare it the night before and just reheat it in the morning.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 8 oz cremini mushroom(s), thinly sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, salt-free
- 1/2 cup(s) roasted red peppers (packed in water), rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil, coarsely chopped
- 10 slice(s) reduced calorie wheat bread, crusts removed, cubed (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 oz semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 cup(s) regular liquid egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until water from mushrooms is released and evaporates, and mushrooms begin to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in Italian seasoning, peppers and tomatoes until combined. Add bread cubes; toss gently to combine.
- Coat a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon in vegetable-bread mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Pour egg substitute over top; bake, uncovered, until center is set, about 1 hour. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.