- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 whole large egg,
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, almond extract and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly whisk together.
- Fold the applesauce into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. If the glaze is appears too thick, continue adding lemon juice until it’s runny enough to pour.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on a baking rack over a baking sheet or wax paper.
- While the cake is still slightly warm pour the glaze over, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Cut into 8 equally sized slices and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 slice
PER SERVING: 220 calories; 1g fat; 52g carbohydrates; 7g protein; 4g fiber