- 1 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light butter, melted (I used Brummel & Brown)
- 3 tbsp applesauce
- 1-2 tbsp ice water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp light butter (I used Brummel & Brown)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- To make crust: Set oven rack at lowest level; preheat oven to 425°F. Stir together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and applesauce. Slowly stir this mixture into the flour with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together in a ball. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Remove the top sheet and invert the dough over a 9-inch pie plate. Remove the remaining wrap.
- Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp.
- Line the shell with a piece of foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the weights or beans, and continue to bake until the crust is golden, 8 to 10 more minutes. Cool the pie shell on a rack while you make the filling.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- To make filling: Whisk together 1 1/4 cups sugar, cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in boiling water.
- Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest, egg substitute and 1 egg white in a small bowl. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, then whisk this mixture back into the hot sauce.
- Return to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, then cook for an additional 30 seconds. Stir in the butter until melted and pour into the baked pie shell. Set aside while you prepare meringue.
- To make meringue: Beat 3 egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and pinch of salt and beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar, beating constantly, until the mixture holds stiff, shiny peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Spread the meringue over the hot filling, sealing to edge of crust. Make attractive peaks with a metal spatula, knife or the back of a spoon.
- Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool the pie on a rack until it is room temperature, about 2 hours.
Preparation time: 50 minute(s)
Cooking time: 55 minute(s)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 slice of pie
PER SERVING: 236 calories; 4g fat; 58 g carbohydrates; 6g protein; 2 g fiber