- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 100 min
- Serves: 12
- Difficulty: Moderate
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 1 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), finely chopped
- 1 cup(s) uncooked celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pound(s) uncooked 93% lean ground beef
- 4 fl oz red wine, dry variety (1/2 cup)
- 56 oz canned crushed tomatoes, Italian plum variety
- 3 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, flat-leaf, chopped
- 13 1/4 oz whole wheat lasagna noodles, (16 uncooked noodles)
- 2 1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add beef; cook until browned, breaking up clumps of meat with a spoon as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine; cook, stirring once or twice, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes; stir in basil.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. To make filling, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- To assemble lasagna, in bottom of a 13- X 9-inch baking dish, spread 2 cups of meat sauce; layer 4 noodles over top, overlapping slightly to fit. Spoon about 2 1/4 cups meat sauce over noodles; top with ½ cup ricotta mixture and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat layering with remaining noodles, meat sauce and ricotta mixture, reserving ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella and bake until cheese melts and is lightly browned, about 5 minutes more; remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
If you prefer your cheese nice and browned, place under broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute after baking.