Classic Chinese Chow Mein
Craving Chinese food? Then you’re in luck! This Classic Chinese Chow Mein is an easy meal that comes together in less than 20 minutes, and tastes better than takeout! You really can’t go wrong with this recipe. We added thinly sliced cabbage, sesame seeds, bean sprouts and green onions to ours, but you can customize yours any way you like. Try adding cooked chicken, shredded carrots, cilantro, a squeeze of lime and some Sriracha for some extra flavor and heat! Once you make this recipe you’ll never want to order takeout again.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ head cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce OR substitute 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp dark brown sugar and a pinch of ground anise
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces chow mein noodles, cooked a minute shy of the directions*
- 6 ounces bean sprouts (optional)
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
Heat a large pan or wok on high heat.
Add two tablespoons of canola oil to the pan and cook the cabbage.
Cook 2-3 minutes until wilted, add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Add the soy sauce, sweet soy sauce (or homemade substitute), oyster sauce and water and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
Add in the pasta and bean sprouts and toss to coat.
Serve immediately, enjoy!