2 tbls baking soda
8 ounces whole wheat pizza dough (no more than 3 grams of fat per 2-ounce serving), fresh or frozen and defrosted
1 tbls + 1 tsp Chocolate Fudge Sauce
Sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add enough water to a large soup pot so it’s one-quarter full. Add the baking soda. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to a boil.
3. Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut the dough into 2 equal portions. Remove one of the portions to a cutting board. Roll the dough into a 20″-long rope. Cut the rope into 8 equal pieces. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, leaving you with 16 dough pieces.
4. Add the pieces to the water in a single layer, working in batches if necessary, and boil them for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they float. Using a slotted spoon to drain off any excess water, remove the boiled dough pieces to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, so they do not touch.
5. Bake the pretzels for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let them cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then spread 1/4 teaspoon fudge sauce over the top of each pretzel bite. Sprinkle each with a few crystals of salt, or to taste.
Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.
Makes 4 – 4-piece servings (16 total pieces)
Nutritional Info: 143 calories, 4 g protein, 2 g fat, 3 g fiber, 28 g carbs